Fast Running Blog
March 28, 2024, 02:51:57 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Asics and blisters!!  (Read 17299 times)
dave rockness
Posting Member

« on: October 17, 2011, 03:40:10 pm »

I need insight on a blister issue.  I have been averaging 60-70 miles of running for the past 3 years.  During this stretch I have never experienced a blister issue.  Just last week I purchased a pair of Asic DS-Trainer 16's (10 ounces), a shoe I have never worn before.  On my first run, I felt a bit of a "hotfoot" by mile 3.  I stopped twice to take off shoes and let my foot calm down- ran 8 miles total.  A couple of days later I ran at marathon pace for 3 miles- they felt a little better, yet were still a tad bit "hot".  Then I Saturday I ran a marathon in the same shoes and developed a blister by mile 6 (thus running 20 miles with a blister the size of a silver dollar- ouch!).  In each of my runs, sweating really wasn't an issue and the fit seemed to be perfect. 

So, here's my dilemma...I love the fit and feel (cushioning/support) of the shoes, so was it a matter of them not being broken in, the switch to a new brand, something in my running style and shoe, a need to experiment w/different socks (same wicking socks I always wear), a combination of factors, or just bad luck? 
Jake Krong
Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 04:38:07 pm »

Dave - I think if a shoe is a good fit for racing, then you should be able to wear it right out of the box for a workout or longer run. I don't necessarily believe in "breaking in" shoes... a good fit is usually a good fit. You could always try them for another couple runs (maybe w/ different socks) and see if that hotspot goes away, but unless you can get through a solid long run in them with no problems, I'd be hesitant to wear them for the marathon.
dave rockness
Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 05:35:33 pm »

thanks Jake!  I'll try a different pair of socks + I've ordered a new pair of light trainers as well. 
Kam
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 08:53:20 am »

Dave, I had this issue with an Saucony Omni update.  I comfortably wore the six for 600 miles.  When I got the 7, the first long run I did produced an enormous blister.  After it healed, I comfortably wore the shoes with no blister issues for 500 miles.  You may have found the one tender spot on your 60-70 mpw feet and matched it with the only shoe on the planet that rubs a bit there.  Maybe some glide on the spot would reduce the friction enough to let you keep wearing the shoes.
Colby
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 07:00:54 am »

Dave,
  Just experienced the same issue...kind of. I had been running in an Saucony shoe for months and moths, put about 800 miles on it, mostly treadmill. Then got some new shoes and have been running in them the last couple of months (Nike Free). I put on the Saucony's the other day and developed a blister and it popped within 3 miles. Haven't had a single blister in the Saucony's prior or the Nike shoes.
  I think my feet just were not used to the Saucony's after not running in them for quite some time. I think it does take your feet a little while to "conform" to a shoe. Apparently, they can forget the feel of a shoe as well. I generally relace my shoes a little differently to give me a little more room in the toe box. For some reason I always get a blister on my second toe because it rubs on my big toe. Toe socks work great as well!
dave rockness
Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 12:59:21 pm »

Makes sense guys...thanks! 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: