Fast Running Blog
April 19, 2024, 09:08:12 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: return to running after microfracture surgery  (Read 14069 times)
Ralph Peters
Lurker

« on: November 08, 2010, 09:27:10 am »

I've read the armyrunner post about his return to running after microfrature surgery. I had it a week ago today (wasn't expecting it; just thought it was a only a torn meniscus). On crutches for six weeks, and doc says full recovery for four months. I know recoveries vary from runner to runner, but wondered if anyone else had this surgery, and what the time in months for return to full running was. Thanks for any replies.
Bonnie
Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 10:39:00 am »

Hi Ralph, one of our bloggers, Army Runner (Ted) had this surgery a couple years ago and blogged about his recovery, the blogs starts here http://armyrunner.fastrunningblog.com/blog-07-2008.html:

One thing to note is that his blog got A LOT of hits from outsiders with questions, so it is actually very interesting. 

Good luck!
Ralph Peters
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 11:14:23 am »

Hi Bonnie, thanks for the information. I've read his blog through 2009, but can't seem to find his posts from 2010.

Ralph
Colby
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 05:00:35 am »

Hey Ralph,

I ran extensively with Ted once he was recovering/recovered from his surgery. It basically took him 4-5 maybe 6 months if I remember correctly. He had to start all over again with 1 mile a day for a week, then pick up the mileage slowly from there. That was the technique he used and he seems to be doing pretty well.
Ralph Peters
Lurker

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 01:50:27 pm »

Thanks Colby,

I'm glad he was able to start running. Has he got back to his previous level of mileage/competition?. I've run fairly high mileage for 32 years, had a medial meniscus tear (50%) had the arthroscopy, and the doc did the mircrofracture surgery to create covering for a bald spot on my condyle. I didn't expect that. I'll be on crutches for six weeks, am riding a bike and doing pt each week. The doc says four months for recovery before running.

Thanks for the reply

Ralph
Colby
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 11:40:16 am »

Ralph,

I am not sure if he has made it back completely to his mileage and level of performance. He was running 2:30-2:40 marathon times and hitting close to 120miles a week. He still keeps up his blog if you want to check it out and ask him for yourself. Army Runner is what he goes by on the blog. Good luck with recovery and remember...keep it simple and slow!
Ralph Peters
Lurker

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 01:31:36 pm »

Colby

I was able to find his recent blog; looks like he's almost back. Two years is a long time to get back the previous level. For me anyway. I was running from 65-90 miles a week before this surgery. Thanks for the post.

Ralph
Ralph Peters
Lurker

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 12:12:17 pm »

anyone had microfractures on the medial lateral condyle of both the right and the left knees?
Ralph Peters
Lurker

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 09:15:18 am »

I guess I'm lucky............after a microfracture in the right medial femoral condyle this last November, he doc says I'll need the same thing in the left knee. I don't guess any other runner has had microfractures in the right, and then later, the left knee?
Colby
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 10:14:46 am »

Good luck Ralph...but unfortunately I can't help you there.
Ralph Peters
Lurker

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 10:34:04 am »

Thanks Colby for your quick response. I remember that on armyrunner's post after his microfracture there was a lady named Meredith who said she was having a microfracture on both her knees. But she seems to have stopped posting. Or at least I can't find her on this website

I haven't given up yet. The only way I can continue running is to have the second microfracture.

Colby, if you do happen to come across a right/left knee microfracture, post it. Thanks so much

Ralph
Ralph Peters
Lurker

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 08:01:04 am »

Had arthroscopic surgery for a 50% tear on my left medial meniscus. I had expected to have a microfracture (same as on right in November), but woke up without it. Relatively good news for me. Only a couple of months from now, and I can return - slowly - to running again.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: