Fast Running Blog
April 23, 2024, 10:45:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "Anonymous" comments  (Read 8033 times)
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« on: February 08, 2010, 07:04:12 am »

Sasha- I know that you changed the FRB to allow comments only from registered users a while ago, partly due to some rude comments from anonymous users.  However, I was hoping you could somehow give FRB-ers the option to allow anonymous, non-registered people on their blogs if they want.  I, for one, have many running friends and acquaintances who are not on the blog but who used to give nice, meaningful comments.  I miss that.

Bottom line- is there a way to allow each FRB member to allow comments from non-registered users?  Maybe add it as a feature/choice in the blog options, kind of like weight tracker?

Thanks
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 05:47:34 pm »

Good idea. I second the motion.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 08:37:01 pm »

Well, Sasha?  Is it possible?
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 08:55:05 pm »

No,  absolutely no anonymous comments. If you have something to say, have the guts to identify yourself. If you are not willing to, I do not want to have it stored on my server.

If somebody wants to comment bad enough, they can set up a blog for the purpose of commenting. If they are too lazy to do it, I do not particularly care to have their comments stored on my server either, as that category produces a significantly lower signal to noise ratio.

Also, I want to discourage lurking and encourage participation.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 08:26:07 am »

I was afraid you would say that.  I guess I'm going to set up an alternative blogspot page for myself, too, so non-FRB-ers can read and comment.
Maurine Lee
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 07:02:50 pm »

Yeah, my daughter and some other running friends have accounts, but don't log in all the time and they quit commenting because it gets tiring logging in when you want to comment each time.
Mike Davis
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 10:56:49 pm »

I also have some non-running friends that used to comment on my blog once in a while just to encourage me and let me know they interested in my goals. Not being runners, they are not interested in joining the blog just to leave a comment once in a while.
I understand why you would still like to restrict that, but I thought I'd add my 2¢ anyway. Maybe it could be a feature we could subscribe to for a fee?

-Mike

Running without hills is like motorcycling without corners.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 08:19:50 am »

Yes, Mike, I really miss the once-in-a-while comments from non-running friends and family, too.  Sad we can't have that as an option. 

I don't think it makes much sense to expect non-FRB'ers to register just to leave a comment for a friend.  Only 30% of FRB accounts are active, as it is right now (490 updated in the past 3 months out of 1631 blogs)- creating a blog just to be able to comment would only give us far, far more inactive accounts.

Ultimately, I know you own the server and the programming, Sasha, so it's your decision and we have to live with it.  That's fine. 
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 09:50:36 am by Jon Allen » Logged
Mike Davis
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 09:06:27 am »

To be fair to Sasha; I think the real purpose of this blog site is to be a resource for runners and to receive input about our running from other runners. I like to get comments from my non-running friends, but to be honest, there is little value in allowing anonymous comments compared to the risk of spam and other issues if they are allowed. I get a lot more mileage from comments by my running peers. I guess that makes 4¢, or does that undo the first 2 and leave me at 0 Smiley

-Mike

Running without hills is like motorcycling without corners.
Scott Ensign
Lurker

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 02:02:40 pm »

I tried posting an anonymous comment to Jon's blogspot blog so I could make fun of his green gaiters without him knowing it was me. But even blogspot requires you to authenticate your identity by linking an email account or AIM account. too bad as I really wanted to make fun of those green gaiters without getting in trouble.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 07:41:16 pm »

My take is if someone it too lazy to log in, they are commenting with their spinal cord, not with their brain. I want people to comment with their brain.  Also, without a login, how do you know that the person is really who he claims to be? What if somebody pretends to be somebody else as a practical joke that goes bad, or possibly with malice to begin with, and we open a can of worms that becomes difficult to close? We did not have to worry about it too much three years ago, but now that the blog has gotten bigger, and new people are coming every day, this is more of a concern.

Features for a fee is an interesting idea. Aside from allowing anonymous comments, what would those features be, and how many people would use them, and how much would they be willing to pay?

I am thinking of one feature right now - when somebody without  a solid mileage record says something about a popular short-cut marathon training program or the software finds another red flag that suggests the person is about to run a marathon unprepared, automatically post a comment with a write-up about how to prepare for a marathon properly unless they have paid a fee :-) If they pay a fee they can post all kinds of training nonsense as long as they use family-safe language. This, of course, will make no money, but it may change some things on the blog for better.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: