Fast Running Blog
March 29, 2024, 02:29:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Fast Running Blog database server uptime  (Read 21978 times)
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« on: January 13, 2010, 07:41:34 pm »

The MySQL database server on the back end of the Fast Running Blog has been up for over 306 days without a restart (means it has not crashed or got itself into an inconsistent state that would require a restart that entire time). Average load - 20 queries per second. Total queries - over 494 million.  Database stats:  total data size - 435 M, largest table - 379,129 records. 174,033 training entries.

OS load average rarely over 0.1, meaning the load could increase 10-fold before the users will notice load-related delays.

Hardware:  1-CPU Pentium 4 2.4 GHz processor, 1 GB of RAM, 500 GB IDE drive. Everything except HDD  was purchased for $65 from Geeks.Com. The HDD was about $90, I believe. The original RAM turned out to be bad, but fortunately I had some spare RAM laying around.

Steve P
Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 10:05:14 pm »

Congrats! That is much easier said than done.

You have a wealth of data that could be possibly be tapped for research purposes.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 07:08:15 am »

That's pretty cool. Just curious, what kind of bandwidth do you have?
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 07:55:30 am »

Wow, impressive.  Nice to know we can have 10 times more traffic without problems.  And 20 queries per second- that seems like a lot to me.

Thanks for doing it, Sasha.  Just curious, what happens if the power goes out at your house?
Tom
Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 08:21:37 am »

As a big computer geek myself I can appreciate those stats Sasha. Very impressive, nice job.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 03:45:55 pm »

Jon - I have it on a UPS that can last 10-15 minutes. The iProvo/Broadweave fiber-optic modem is also on its own UPS. So we can handle short power outages, and we have not had a long one for while. It is noteworthy that the server did not have to go down when they did the electrical work this summer when we added a dining room (the Lord poured out so many blessings that there was not room enough to receive them).

I wish I could say that all those 20 queries per second were human generated. If they were, the blog would finally get a nice UI  as I would have the budget for it :-) Most of it is bot traffic. I suspect due to a high level of page linking and the abundance of pages the bots really like the site. Some buggy ones get stuck in a loop. But it gives a nice stress test for the site.

Paul - the connection is 20 MBps from iProvo/Broadweave.  $43 a month. The bandwidth is definitely underutilized spiking only to maybe 100 KBps occasionally. As much as people complain about iProvo and the government trying to compete against private business, I think it was a good thing. In this case the private business (Qwest and Comcast) got lazy. Now that they have been given a kick in the behind, they are offering high bandwidth at a reasonable price as well instead of complaining that it is not feasible. And to add a bit of a flame to the fire, I do not consider corporations of that size a true private business. Once an organization gets big enough it tends to lose the competitive edge of a private business that make the free market economy thrive.

Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 03:57:43 pm »

That's amazing bandwidth for the price. Qwest charges about $500/month for a dedicated T1. Yeah, it duplexed and 99.9% reliable, but the price and the speed is pathetic.

BTW - thought you might find this interesting:
http://www.letsrun.com/2010/09letsrun0113.php

RunningAhead is #16, and they are a dedicated online running log. When will the Fast Running Blog crack the Top 20?
Steve P
Posting Member

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 09:24:23 pm »

I pay $40 for 1 Mbps.  Cry And because my HOA signed an exclusive agreement, it's my only option (until WiMax becomes a reality). $43 for 20 Mbps sounds excellent.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 11:42:54 am »

Paul - we would need to increase our traffic by a factor of 8.
Eric Day
Posting Member

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 12:38:00 pm »

How many times do I need to login to help with this?    Grin

Awesome up-time !
And $43 for 20MBps bandwidth? wow, I pay something around $75 for 2 mbps... (third world country with cost of living of better than first world country).
Maurine Lee
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 11:52:40 am »

Those are some awesome statistics.  I have to reboot my SQL Server several times a week to deal with a memory leakage we haven't been able to trace yet.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 12:05:09 pm »

Maurine:

A while ago if you did a Google search for MSSQL it would come back with "Did you mean MySQL?". MySQL team had a lot of fun with it. Google actually uses MySQL for the backend of AdWords.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2010, 07:47:56 pm »

Sasha- you might have jinxed yourself.  When I open the FRB in Chrome or Firefox, I get the following errors:

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /home/asksasha/web/running-log/blog.php:314) in /home/asksasha/web/running-log/blog_entries.php on line 408

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home/asksasha/web/running-log/blog.php:314) in /home/asksasha/web/running-log/blog_entries.php on line 408

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/asksasha/web/running-log/blog.php:314) in /home/asksasha/web/running-log/blog_entries.php on line 409

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/asksasha/web/running-log/blog.php:314) in /home/asksasha/web/running-log/blog_entries.php on line 410

And when I try to login, I get the following:

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /home/asksasha/web/running-log/blog.php:314) in /home/asksasha/web/running-log/trainlog2.php on line 804

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home/asksasha/web/running-log/blog.php:314) in /home/asksasha/web/running-log/trainlog2.php on line 804

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/asksasha/web/running-log/blog.php:314) in /home/asksasha/web/running-log/trainlog2.php on line 472
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 10:35:26 pm by Jon Allen » Logged
Sean Sundwall
Posting Member

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2010, 09:37:26 pm »

I'm getting a similar problem. cant post my run today
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 08:55:47 am »

Fixed. Apologies for the problems. Note that the database server was still up, otherwise you would not have been able to post to the forum. I just made some changes in the PHP code and forgot to test them fully before making them live. Nice to know that the blog is being used, though.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: