Fast Running Blog
June 27, 2024, 03:37:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Running form  (Read 5768 times)
dave rockness
Posting Member

« on: February 06, 2009, 11:53:28 am »

A serious runner in our area was analyzing my form today.  His biggest concern was that I strike with my forefoot rather than my heal.  Watching me, from the knees up, apparently I looked good.  He felt listening to me was a bit "scary"...too much of a "clydesdale" sound.  It was nearly impossible for me to hit my heals first in trying to make an adjustment.  Any thoughts?  Any suggestions for working on form?  I'm fairly upright, good arm movement, little body movement, but just keep striking that forefoot first (was a "fast twitch" athlete in high school...always told to stay on my toes for sports...no track background).  I appreciate any insight or response.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 01:41:29 pm »

I would not try to change your foot landing.  As long as you aren't overstriding, you are just risking injury if you tweak it.
dave rockness
Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 01:37:57 pm »

Thanks for your comments.  I was really second guessing myself yesterday.  Since then, I've done some research and realize it is a controversial subject.  Pzitzinger (sp?) would support my forefoot strike in his book of Advanced Marathoning.  He also wrote an article criticizing some of the "old school" running experts who refuse to consider some of the latest research and feels their assessments are skewed by a "sacred cow" mentality.  Also, today in my long-run, I was very conscious to listen to my foot-strike alongside my heal-striking friend who is 20lbs lighter than me.  He actually might "clomp" louder than I do (2:46 marathoner in Boston).  I'm not saying I am the model of running "efficiency", but I would probably do more harm than good to mess with my foot striking at this stage in the game. 
Michelle Lowry
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 08:31:25 am »

I am a heel striker who is trying to move my strike up.  Though I am not physiologist or sports scientist, it seems to me that heel striking is like putting on the brakes with every step.  I have also heard that you go more toward the front of your foot the shorter your race, so a marathoner ideally would not be a toe striker but a midstriker?  Is there such a thing?  I would think you can improve form, and thus running efficiency, gradually without injury, by focusing on better form during strides or for short periods of time during your runs a couple times a week.  But then again, there might be studies about this, and they'd shed alot more light than one runners opinion.
Craig Green
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 04:19:45 pm »

Dave- I'm also a forefoot striker. I transitioned naturally around 2000-2001 as I started emulating my efficient form used during speedwork to my longer runs. Like everything, there are pros and cons. Landing on the forefoot has given me great advantages in terms of knee problems (I have never had any), because it is less jarring on the joints. However, the extra strain can wreak havoc on the ankles- particularly the achilles tendons, so watch out for that. The idea behind barefoot running is to find your body's most efficient form. If you ever try that, you will notice that you end up on your forefoot because of the cushioning it offers.

Anyway, I would agree that you should stick with your natural form. Try to gauge your form during intervals and sprints, because that is going to be where your body works out its most efficient form.

Fredrick Teichert
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 04:26:46 pm »

There was another discussion about foot strike on the forum about a year ago. Most runners agreed the faster they ran, the more forward their foot strike position became. It's amazing how adaptable the human body is. Our stride changes as we alter speed, terrain, shoes, fatigue and even time of day. So to say there is only one ideal stride is just silly. Too many other things are involved. To not want to be more efficient would also be silly, so I think what we should do is constantly try to make what feels natural more efficient. By the way, I was a sprinter in HS and also ran on my toes. When I started going long, I tried to run like all my slow twitch friends and just ended up injured. In the last year I've moved my foot strike forward (again) and have recently made the best gains of my life without injuries. The bottom line? Run according to your specific body mechanics (probably what feels good), not those of your running buddies or the companies that make your shoes.  
Jeff Linger

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 11:54:36 pm »

For some great advice on running form see Matt Fitzgerald's book "Brain Training for Runners". It has some great suggestions he calls 'proprieceptive cues' to concentrate on during each run. Personally I've found the best 4 are his suggestions about leaning forward from the ankles, pulling the road, naval to spine, and squeezing the butt. I've also found that when I forget about my pace and focus entirely on breathing comfortably while employing these techniques, I necessarily run faster as a result of running more efficiently. He also has something to say about mid-foot striking, Michelle.
deanw
Lurker

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 08:34:03 am »

What are the signs that you are over striding?
dave rockness
Posting Member

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 12:23:33 pm »

Thanks folks...the input is all very helpful. 
jtshad

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 01:40:17 pm »

If you are a natural mid-foot striker, don't change it.  I made the transition when I started competing and I have been running higher mileage now for nearly 4 years without serious injury.   From my research, mid foot landing is better on the joints, promotes better overall efficiency and improvement in pace (as Michelle said, you are not braking with every step). As you increase your pace, your foot can strike under your center of gravity on the backwards kick motion and transmit more power into the ground and thus improving overall pace and efficiency.

My two cents worth.
James Winzenz

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 01:46:19 pm »

If you are a natural mid-foot striker, don't change it.  I made the transition when I started competing and I have been running higher mileage now for nearly 4 years without serious injury.   From my research, mid foot landing is better on the joints, promotes better overall efficiency and improvement in pace (as Michelle said, you are not braking with every step). As you increase your pace, your foot can strike under your center of gravity on the backwards kick motion and transmit more power into the ground and thus improving overall pace and efficiency.

My two cents worth.

+1. 

Two great examples of midfoot or forefoot strikers, both world record holders:  Haile Gebreselassie and Kenenisa Bekele.  Geb is more of a forefoot striker, has to do special stretches and exercises to avoid injuries to his calves and achilles, but he holds the world record in the marathon.  Bekele has the world record in both the 10,000 and 5,000, and is more of a midfoot striker with a efficient stride that makes him look effortless.
Joe Furse
Posting Member

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 10:56:57 am »

I would tend to agree with what someone else here was saying about how heel striking seems to put the brakes on.  However, if you are going at a slower pace rather than trying to dig in and get some speed out of your stride it probably doesn't matter as long as you have a good roll from back to front.  It makes sense that the faster you are intending to go the farther forward you should strike generally.  If you are doing a 100m sprint your heel should barely touch the ground if at all, but if you are doing something longer you will spend more time on the heel.  At least that's what my high school track coach would always tell me and it seems to work.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 12:14:41 pm »

Running form is exactly what the word says - it is the form. I do not know of any runner that would meet the following requirements:

a) Prior to changing his form he had been running 90 miles a week consistently for at least 2 years.
b) He changed his form.
c) He did not change his mileage, intensity, amount of sleep or diet.
d) After changing the form his 10 K improved by 15 seconds or more.

If you find one like that, then he would be worth listening to. Do not bother with other "experts". Their success stories can be easily dismissed as riding on the success of another training method to sell their agenda.

My advice is to run naturally. Let the body discover the optimal form. It may not look pretty, it may not sound pretty, but the body is smart. When pressed to run fast or long, or both, it will find the form that makes you hurt the least.
dave rockness
Posting Member

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 04:13:30 pm »

Sasha,  makes alot of sense.  I still so new to running that I am a bit susceptible to folks who talk a good talk.  The feedback on this blog + a little research has helped give me confidence to continue with my natural form.  Thanks!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: