Fast Running Blog
May 20, 2024, 11:20:46 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: FRB Van Magnet Design Contest  (Read 6444 times)
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« on: September 24, 2008, 12:04:47 pm »

We need to make magnets for our Fast Running Van. So being artistically handicapped I am announcing a contest for the magnet design. The winner gets $25, eternal fame on the blog, and the immortalization of his design on a 15-passenger CNG van driving around mostly the state of Utah.

Anybody can enter. You do not have to be a professional graphic artist, or even think you are any good at graphic design. You just have to be better than me, which is not that hard. In other words, if you can do artistically better than the pages of the blog, you are eligible.

Ideally, I would prefer to see the final result in a layered format that can be edited in GIMP so that I could resize layers if needed.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 08:55:19 pm by Sasha Pachev » Logged
adam
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 03:25:48 pm »

Deadline?
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 03:45:22 pm »

Let's say this Saturday.
Paul (RivertonPaul)
Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 03:37:33 pm »

Do you want to post the submissions for feedback?
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 03:47:03 pm »

Yes, let's have an open contest. If you have something, post it.
Paul (RivertonPaul)
Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 11:49:28 am »

I roughed this out, basically conceptual with the idea that you should link fastrunningblog.com to the internet and computer somehow.  Perhaps someone can run with the concept and improve upon it, but I think some of the ideas would be useful.  I also think it would be cool to have the font like individual keyboard letters (little keyboard boxes to link it to blogging), but didn't know how to do that. 

It could also be modified to have much bigger "fastrunningblog.com" fontsize either above the computer or to the side, depending on the aspect ratio you want.  Something like this could be overlayed over some other cool running background, etc.  Feel free to make suggestions.

Anyway its at http://www.flickr.com/photos/30864837@N08/2890556180/

« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 02:36:00 pm by Paul (RivertonPaul) » Logged
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 03:38:38 pm »

Paul:

I think the focus should be on running. The computer is just a communication tool. Blog and .Com are enough of a clue to communicate that we use a computer and the Internet.
Paul (RivertonPaul)
Posting Member

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 03:59:30 pm »

Well, in my opinion the difference is in trying to achieve some sort of branding distinct from what is out there; most running stores and web pages simply have some runner or runners in silhouette, and the .com or blog does not necessarily communicate the critical element that fastrunningblog.com it is intended to be interactive, requiring some personal effort by the blogger, nor that it is a community for runners and not just one person's individual blog.  You also need to instill some desire to go look at the blog. 

Certainly, I think your slogan needs to be visible as well.

I agree the emphasis should be on running, so you could easily diminish the focus on computer but still subtly suggest that it is the web and add more emphasis on running visuals and the blog name.  Again, it may be as simple as putting the Fastrunningblog.com or your slogan "Run. Blog.  Improve.  Repeat." in a keyboard font like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30864837@N08/2891078136/

Just my thoughts in a spirit of suggestion as there seems to otherwise be a lack of general input.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 04:49:20 pm by Paul (RivertonPaul) » Logged
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 05:31:13 pm »

I think you'll need to offer more than $25 to get input. Chad and I put together than amateurish logo and slogan last year (for free). It is what it is. To get something professional, you'll need to hire a professional. Otherwise, I don't think you'll get anything better than what you already have.
adam
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2008, 06:49:21 pm »

My sister does graphic design stuff and is working on something...
Paul (RivertonPaul)
Posting Member

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 08:38:48 pm »

Yeah, my input (as you can see) is not intended as a finished product, just some concepts to think about, and is not about the money.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 03:14:49 pm by Paul (RivertonPaul) » Logged
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2008, 06:52:32 pm »

We've had two submissions. One from Riverton Paul above, and one from Adam's sister. I would like to thank them for participation.

After some thought, I realized the professional graphic work was not as important as communicating the driving power and tradition of the blog. We could do well with a simple design. I decided to go with the following (so Paul Petersen and Steve Hooper "win" (well, I can claim some credit to as I resized the image and changed the font to make the text fit) ):

http://fastrunningblog.com/frb-banner.png

Reasons - we have already established a logo concept (a tired runner attacking a 9% grade) which well fits into the spirit of the blog. We need something that communicates the idea that we run and we focus on the runner, not the Garmin, watch, shoes, computer, gu, shorts, or other accessories which are only a means to an end. We also need something that is appropriate for the magnet - easily read from a distance, captures the observer's attention, etc.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: