Fast Running Blog
May 10, 2024, 04:41:30 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Racing flats  (Read 3218 times)
dave rockness
Posting Member

« on: August 19, 2008, 04:18:00 pm »

Someone suggested I should purchase racing flats for my next marathon.  To be honest, I had no idea what they were talking about.  Could someone educate me to as to what they are?  Are there pros/cons to wearing them?  Do most marathon runners use them?  I kind of feel like the kid in the batter's box cross gripping the bat and facing the wrong way...appreciate any input.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 04:46:22 pm »

Racing flats are just really lightweight running shoes. They don't have nearly as much support as normal running shoes, but you can usually run a little bit faster in them due to energy savings from the lesser weight.

However, I don't think flats are even worth thinking about in the marathon until you are under 2:40, perhaps even 2:30.  We're only talking about shaving a couple minutes after all, plus you will take a greater beating in the calves and ankles from wearing flats, so they are usually considered "advanced", once you have mastered training and running a marathon injury-free in normal shoes.

Instead, I would look into a good pair of lightweight trainers. They will give you more support and cushioning, but still be a little bit lighter in weight for that "raceday edge". Just go to any running store and try on several pairs. Personally, I've enjoyed wearing the Brooks Burn, Brooks Axiom, and Nike Elite. The Saucony Tangent is also a good shoe, although not as supportive as the others I mentioned.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 05:12:12 pm »

Dave- I like the advice Pete Pfitzinger gives in his advanced marathoning book.  For guys, he recommends flats only for sub-2:40, under 160 lbs, history of being injury free, and good biomechanics.  It really comes down to if the small gain is worth the possible hazards- you may take off a few minutes from your time, but you have less support and cushion.  Lightweight trainers are a good intermediate, like Paul says, but even then the difference is pretty small relatively.  Try a pair if you want, but definitely train in them some before any race.
Michelle Lowry
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 07:30:04 pm »

I woke racing flats for my half on August 9th, and I felt like it was pushing it to wear flats on a downhill half.  I do not plan on wearing them for St. George.  I'll wear lightweight trainers.
Walter Brown
Lurker

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 08:46:38 am »

Michelle, I like the Asics DS trainers and have worn them in SGM and Ogden and Boston.  They are a little heavier than a saucony xflat but with way more support. I wore the Saucony XC flat in a 10k with Jon and Paul and Cody and it felt like I was barefoot! I could feel the rocks and gravel on the road.  I definately would not recommend something like that for even a half.
Michelle Lowry
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 09:42:12 am »

Walter - they were the Saucony Type A2 - is that a cross country flat?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: