Fast Running Blog
April 30, 2024, 04:51:46 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Best/Favorite running books  (Read 10366 times)
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« on: May 22, 2008, 08:05:08 pm »

I'm always looking for some more good reading, so would like to know what running books have helped/educated/inspired you the most.  Scientific books, training books, or even novels about running are all fair game. 

My personal favorite is Advanced Marathoning by Pete Pfitzinger and Scott Douglas.  Lots of scientifically-backed data, advice, and great training schedules.
Dave Holt
Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 08:32:40 pm »

Harriers is a fun short little novel written by two kids (brothers or cousins) about their high school cross-country experience.  It has errors and reads somewhat like the stuff my high school kids write, but their experiences brought back a lot of memories - good and bad, but mostly good.  As a coach, it kind of reminded me what the kids think about as well.  Anyway, a fun short read.
Another novel that was  pretty good read has escaped my mind, so maybe someone has read it and can help.  It is about a very good young runner from New Mexico who goes on to become a teacher at and Elementary and then gets cancer (I think).  A true story and very inspirational about what one person can do and what running can mean to people.
Those are a couple good reads.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 09:11:52 am by Dave Holt » Logged
Jennifer
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 11:23:08 pm »

Galloway's running books
Running with Angel's
There's another one I thought was really funny I'll find the name and posted
AndyBrowning
Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 07:36:25 am »

My favorites are:
Advanced Marathoning
Running with the Buffaloes

I have tried reading Once a Runner a few times but just can't get into it.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 07:56:29 am »

I want to read Once a Runner but have never been able to find a copy.
Ian Watson
Lurker

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 09:08:33 am »

I love reading and here are some of my favourites:
Running your best - Ron Daws.
The competitive runner's handbook - Bob and Shelly Glover
Distance training for masters - Lydiard/Gilmour
Running with the legends - Michael Sandrock.

A Cold Clear day - The athletic biography of Buddy Edelen
Zatopek! - The life and times.....Bob Phillips

Fiction.
The Runner's Literary Companion - Penguin books
Once a Runner - John L. Parker
Flanagan's Run - Tom McNab.

Tom
Posting Member

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 09:11:55 am »

"The Competetive Runner's Handbook" is a great all-around reference covering all your traditional training methods and conventional running wisdom. Also has some great sections on racing stategy and developing mental toughness.

"Brain Training for Runners" is a fairly new book with a few ideas that run counter to your everyday conventional running wisdom, but which comes closest I've seen yet to advocating concepts that fall right in line with the training approaches/ideas preached by Sasha and many others on the FRB. I've found the book quite interesting and have been incorporating many of the training ideas over the last 6 mos and plan on continuing to do so at least through SGM.

BTW does anyone know yet if that Tinman book is available yet?
AndyBrowning
Posting Member

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 09:26:31 am »

I want to read Once a Runner but have never been able to find a copy.
If I can find my copy you can have it.  I'll let you know if I can dig it up.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 10:16:36 am »

Daniels Running Formula
Brain Training for Runners
Running with Lydiard
Train Hard Win Easy - The Kenyan Way
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 10:39:04 am »

If I can find my copy you can have it.  I'll let you know if I can dig it up.

That would be great, Andy.  I can only find it used online and they want crazy prices for it (~$80+).
Dallen
Posting Member

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2008, 04:54:43 pm »

Advanced Marathoning - Pfitzinger
Daniels's Running Formula
Run Strong - Beck
Michelle Lowry
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2008, 08:36:43 pm »

Tom--Funny you should ask.  I emailed the Tinman website last October and they said it was still being worked on.  I emailed them again on Friday because I am impatient and I haven't heard back from them yet.  They may have put me on the stocker list. . .
Benn Griffin
Posting Member

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2008, 09:03:22 am »

Re: Once  A Runner, The cheapest I can find it is for 300+ dollars and I called 20 libraries and all of their copies have "vanished" aka someone kept it. What a shame. I'm not sure why they wouldn't just republish it even at a 100,000 copy minimum. There is such a high demand for it it would sell out in no time! How can they expect new runners that never read Once a Runner to possibly want to drop the 20+ bucks for the sequel? haha.

Right now I am still reading Marathoning by BIll Rodgers and am also rereading Pam Reed's The Extra Mile and Dean Karnaze's Ultramarathon Man
Chad
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2008, 09:47:48 am »

Running and Being, by George Sheehan.  This book, more than any other book, helped me to think more philosophically about running.  Books about the science behind running are abundant, but books that are able to explore the deeper significance of the activity are much more rare.  This book, which draws from many disciplines (music, art, science, philosophy, religion), does that. 
adam
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2008, 10:11:00 am »

Better Training for Distance Runners: David Martin and Peter Coe (Seb Coe's father)

The Bible: (filled with running and racing references if you look for them)
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: