Fast Running Blog
June 20, 2018, 02:35:32 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Problem with long runs > 2 hrs  (Read 56 times)
Martin
Lurker

« on: May 20, 2018, 09:47:49 am »

Hello everyone,

being a member of this great community since the beginning of the year I took good advice and started running consistently (except a 3 week break because of influenza in March). I structure my training by time rather than by miles. So the last few weeks I ran 4 x 60 min., 2 x 90 min (~45 miles), everything felt great. Last week I added 30min. to my long run so that my training week is now: 60/60/90/rest/60/60/120.

Today was the 2nd long run >2 hours and like last week, Iīm feeling wiped out after. My legs are sore, Iīm tired with some kind of headache. Since I felt the same last week, this time I even paid more attention: I slept enough (7-8 hrs every night), I was well hydrated (took water before and during the run), the course was the same I am training daily (hilly, but managable), pace is even slower than in my easy runs during the week.

Is there such a big difference between 90 and 120 min? Short info: a few years ago I ran 4 marathons and did a lot of long runs. Only difference is that I didnīt run as many miles as I am doing now.

So I donīt know what to do about it: cutting back to what worked or going through this stadium?

Also I think I am at a peak regarding to the weekly training time (7.5 to 8 hours) which builds a good balance between family, training and work. If the question to the previous is to go though: is it possible to run sub 3 next year if I train consistently in that time range? My easy running pace is very slow, so I think what is 50 miles right now can get to 60 while my body is adapting training. So should I just be patient or do I have to run more?

All the best from Germany,
Martin

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: