Fast Running Blog
April 28, 2024, 01:02:05 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How "Not to care"  (Read 5030 times)
Toby Barlow
Lurker

« on: March 13, 2011, 08:22:38 pm »

I love to run.  I think about running or running related stuff all the time.  I'm not a fast runner, just average.  But I love it.  It is my time to be free from the titles of mother, wife, sister, etc.  I'm just me. (On a side note, I just started really training after recovering from a tibia stress fracture)

Unfortunately, I do think about it ALL THE TIME.  I had my first race of the season this past week.  I was nervous about it all week.  I KNOW that I only have 3 months of quality training under my belt and was not going to break any land-speed records, but my expectation were out of this world. 

So my question is, why do I psych myself out all the time?  How can I just run/race and enjoy it?  Sometimes I stress so much my piriformis gets so tight from all the stress (any idea on how to get rid of it?).

I know, whack case....
Dan
Lurker

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 10:41:21 pm »

While I am sorry to say I will not be of any help in the 'how to not care' I can say you're not a whack case. I think about running often, but if you did not care, you would not do it. I know that is not exactly what you are saying, but the reasons you run do not appear to be unhealthy to me (at least I hope not since I share many of those thoughts - it is my time to be with just me or time with God).

I too am just an average runner so in the area of psyching yourself out and allowing, I will tell you the things that help me are these-
1) I remember I am running, I think it through so I do not make it more than it is or less than it is - almost like going back to basics, I am running to enjoy so as long as if I do not get in the way, I will enjoy it. If it is a race, I try and run my race and let everything else fall where it may.
2) When I feel myself really stressing, I leave the Garmin and watch at home and just run (or if on a tm do not even look at the clock). I take note of all the surroundings. I also find that a huge cookie after does wonders, but that is a separate topic.

Sorry I am not much help, I just want you to know you are not the whack case you think you are! (or does that mean I am a whack case too.... great...)  Smiley
Rob Murphy
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 07:32:40 pm »

Toby,

You've got the fever! Don't resist it, embrace it.

Rob
Adam R Wende
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 08:24:05 am »

Hi Toby,

I have to say I get in your same shoes. It is hard not too. Even with "only three months" of training under your belt, that is still a significant amount of time to focus on one day and often only 20 min to 5 hr of that day (depending on the event)... So first off, my vote: NOT a whack case.

As far as how "Not to care". I think you just have to refocus that time and energy. I know the week before a big race (if not longer) I am on the blog, looking at splits, planning clothes, planning diet, etc. Basically, 100% focused on the task at hand. The secret is how to use that effort to benefit your race. Keep in mind that the nervous energy, etc. can be used to help prep you for your race. Go over the details and then feel confident that you can only do your best. Some of the best runners I know use visualization of the race to to help relax them when the day actually come. Embrace the focus and use it to your benefit.

Keep up the good work, Adam
Scott
Lurker

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 10:48:26 am »

I agree with what's already been posted.

I think it's also important to take a break mentally.  Just as there are "recovery" days (physically), so too are there days that you should "recover" mentally.  I know it's easier to say that than it is to do it. 

As much as I hate it when it happens, I find it beneficial sometimes to miss a planned work out.  I know it's crazy and I don't like to do it (and I try not to).  But when it does happen, for whatever the reason may be, the days that follow are quality days (mentally and physically).  It lets me thinking that missing one day isn't going to drastically affect how I am performing. 

Continued good luck!
jtshad

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 04:51:24 pm »

Great advice so far.   Also, remember this is something you are doing for fun and as a hobby so keep it in perpsective and be gracious with yourself.  Remember running is only one part of who you are and you have to look for the balance.  It is hard when it becomes a passion for you, but hopefully you can feel as passionate about the other aspects of your life as well (family, work, church, etc.).

Running is a passion of the spirit, but so is your whole life's landscape.
Joe Furse
Posting Member

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 10:31:03 pm »

I know the feeling as well, as I would sometimes get stressed in high school and would consequently allow myself mental lapses, resulting in performance that was not as good as what I was capable of--especially in "big" races.  However, with advice from my coach and a lot of practice and experimentation in the years since, I can say I've conquered that completely.  I still anticipate big races with excitement, but I have figured out what works for me to channel that anticipation in a positive way.  Here is how I do it:

1.  Enjoy running.  You need to enjoy the day to day training.  Train for races, but not exclusively.  Maybe write down all the reasons you enjoy a regular training run, and then make a conscious point to notice those things as you are out pounding the pavement or trails. 

2. Sufficient training.  If you are training for a specific race, set a goal, and develop a plan that will prepare you for that race.  Seek advice from others on how to train to maximize your performance.  Then stick to that plan.  Realize that you aren't going to be perfect and things are occasionally not going to go as planned, but in general make sure that if you stick to your training that there will be no question of your preparedness--nothing you can second guess yourself on during the race, or in the weeks leading up to it.  This takes practice, but in time good habits will be developed and it will become part of you.

3. Trust your training.  When race day comes, you should have no doubts that you are ready.  This takes experience and time, but there is no need to question whether you can accomplish your goals when you have prepared.  You need to know before that gun goes off that your body and mind are capable of, and will accomplish your goals.  One way to help yourself do this is to use mental imagery.  I find it very useful to use mental imagery when I am training.  For example, when I am doing a marathon-specific workout, such as a long tempo run, I mentally put myself into the race, and treat the workout in my mind as if I were in the actual race.  Project yourself running the best race you can imagine, and let that bleed over into your workout (note: don't do this if it's your easy day, haha).  Never let a negative possibility penetrate your image.  You can run through challenging aspects of the race that are not dependent on you (such as a difficult section of the course), but never think "ok, what am I going to do if I pull my calf...What if I get tired...What if I can't hold this pace...?"  By the time you hit that start line, you should have already finished that race a hundred times--every one of them with positive results.  This is a very handy way to use your nervousness or excitement in a positive manner--when you start thinking or worrying about the race, just turn it into a positive mental run-through.

4.  Run the race in the proper frame of mind.  This especially applies to longer races, although it is also imperative for short ones.  You should feel relaxed and comfortable.  If you listen to music before a race, don't listen to something that will "pump you up" (read: make you anxious)  Listen to something relaxing.  Go through your race in your mind and how you plan to run it, talk to the other runners, anything that will help you reduce stress and start the race in a positive and relaxed frame of mind.

And if all else fails in the race, remember why you are running--because you love doing it, no matter what happens in a particular race.

These are just a few things that have helped me get over running-related anxiety.  Hopefully you might find something useful.
Toby Barlow
Lurker

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 08:28:11 pm »

All,

Thank you for your great advice and words of encourage me.  When I was younger, I've never had to train that hard to achieve my goals - I think I was just able to use natural talent.  Now that I'm a bit older, I have to work for it.  And it takes time.  Lots of time. And lots of hard work.  And lots of time. And lots of hard work.

It's funny when you think you know a lot about something, you realize you don't know anything about it.  So I'm still learning.  I've been working on my running "motto".  A short statement that can remind me of why I do this.  It is going to take some practice.

Thanks again!
Adam R Wende

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 08:31:35 pm »

I think Aristotle's quote, "The more you know, the more you know you don't know" is apt for so many different things....
James Moore
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 11:41:11 am »

When you are relatively new, it can be difficult to know how to set your expectations. You follow a workout plan that trains you for a specific time at a specific distance (or not, maybe you just wing it). Sometimes you greatly exceed your goals, sometimes you fall short and there seems to be no rhyme or reason. This can be quite stressful.

Over the last few years I've gotten quite good at predicting what I'm going to be able to do on race day. Maybe that seems to take the fun out of it, but I disagree. When I know what type of shape I'm in, then I just worry about trying to run hard, which is something I always have control over. I find myself psyching myself out much less than I used to.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: